Skip to main content

Last Year versus the New Year

Happy New Year Everyone! I hope everyone brought in the new year safely and are really ready to start off 2014, well what's a better way than starting off 2014 with a nice post from myself? Exactly what I thought, lets! Who made a resolution last night? Most of us do, examples, "this year I'm going to start working out" or "I'm going to eat healthier" well did anyone say "I'm going to get closer to God" or "I'm going to start going to church" or how about "Forgive me for my sins, Jesus come into my heart"? If so, great! Welcome aboard the Jesus train but for those who are half way on board what are you waiting for? It was 2011 when I set my New Years resolution to start going back to church, BEST DECISION EVER, for me, but my point is sometimes that's all it takes. 

There are people who view New Years resolutions as lame or pointless but they're only those things when people say them but never act on them. Who ended 2013 on a bad note? I can tell you my News Feed was filled with people saying how 2013 was crappy and that they can't wait for a new year, to start things over, well that is where your resolution comes in. It's meant to resolve those issues you had in 2013. Personally, in 2013 I dated an awesome Godly man, got engaged, married, witnessed one of my best friends get married and my Dad, Mom and Sister are now attending church pretty regularly. However, I have had bad years where I slipped into the negative Nancy state of "I can't wait for a new year this year sucked" when really there were so many good things that happened but the bad things outweighed the good things therefore my mood when New Years Eve came around was "bring on the new year and throw this past year into the trash", I wonder how God felt about that. Let's take a look at a special book in the bible, Job, Job was a man who had devoted his life to serving the Lord. Satan saw that and thought he could get Job to turn away from God. God allowed Satan to attempt to get Job to turn away from him by basically stripping him of everything he had, causing him strife and inflicting sickness on him but through it all he was still faithful to God, he didn't say this sucks he was positive, counting his blessings and praising God even when he was covered head to toe in boils. 

Finally, I understand New Years is huge in this culture but as the year continues some forget what their New Years Resolutions are so I advise that everyone should make a daily resolution which revolves around your New Years Resolution and to top it all off have an empty jar and whenever something good happens write it on a piece of paper and at the end of 2014 read them because even though you're looking at your year and things didn't work out you can cling to the things that did work out. Happy New Year, again! 
    The unfailing love of the LORD never ends! By his mercies we have been kept from complete destruction. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each day. I say to myself, "The LORD is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him!" Lamentations 3:22-24 (NASB)

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Not Just Another Post-Abortion Story

On February 13th, 2016 my husband and I welcomed to our family a little boy whose name is Elisha Kenneth. It was in that moment when everything changed for me. I was now and forever a Mom - capital "M". One day I was driving to Church, same route I always take and I look in my rear view mirror at my son who knows of no malice he is simply sleeping away in his car seat with the sweetest and calmest face of content. In that moment it dawns on me. I love him so much. I remember the feeling I had when I found out he was a real thing. The feeling I had the moment I told his Father about him. The feeling I had when I saw him for the first time. The first time I heard his heartbeat. The time we found out he was a he. The moment when we walked through the hospital doors knowing that when we walked out we would have a baby boy. I had a rush of one feeling all in that moment while driving -- LOVE . And what followed afterward, nothing but sadness. Sadness and

Bullying: Make It Zero Tolerance

A good friend of mine posted on Facebook today about bullying. Bullying is a huge controversial issue in High Schools these days. I say controversial carefully because some schools do a pretty good job preventing it but others stress to the public that they have a "Zero Tolerance Policy" but when bullying is brought to their attention they say they can't do anything or they'll write the student up but the student will get nothing as far as punishment. Maybe punishment is a bit drastic but the least they can do is talk to the person who is the bully. Bullying has been around since the dark ages but it was called something completely different (not quite sure exactly what they called it) and it has moved forward in history. Everyone at one point in their life will or have been bullied in some shape or form. In some cases bullying can lead to dropping out of school or even suicide. Here are three ways I believe if we work together and apply them to our lives we can stop

Are You Furthering God's Kingdom or Furthering Your Rep?

Who loves getting recognized for things they do? I really enjoy it but I witness others thriving off of it, is that wrong? I don't necessarily think it's wrong to enjoy recognition but what is wrong is when you are only doing things so that you can get a compliment. The bible is constantly urging us as believers to "do for others" but where do you draw the line, when are you going too far? This is where I believe we are our own worst enemy. We want to be good Christians and help out where help is needed but when we obtain multiple compliments then those compliments go to our head and then we find ourselves doing things only for recognition and not to further God's kingdom.  As I stated above, I love being complimented and it surely does help when I'm doing something that I don't enjoy doing, you know it keeps us motivated. I started this "business" if you would call it that but it's basically a cleaning business something to make ends meet